How I Create Value and Contribute
I am a senior product strategist / manager / lead, focusing on projects with a user-centered, human-centered lens. This includes truly getting in the head of user to see what makes them tick, and identifying and implementing processes and infrastructure where they’re most needed to support the customer, across the organization. I translate a company's mission into a product strategy, vision and roadmap, and embed with tech teams to rigorously test those potential solutions through all phases of research, user testing & feedback, design, launch, and iteration, as well as feedback loops with collaborators. I ensure that stakeholders are heard, and that the final product has measurable success metrics. I seek collaborators who prioritize trust, positivity, and quality, as well as putting their users first.
Two projects I've created that express my perspective on the best ways to create technology:
● Hire More Women In Tech: about why it's financially valuable to hire women in leadership positions in tech.
● Real Names Online: about the outcomes of "real name" defaults in social platforms, and how it plays out poorly for large populations of people.
Expertise: Entrepreneur, small business, and startup communities; tech and creative industries; healthcare
Areas: product strategy, community strategy, business strategy, organizational strategy, brand strategy.
How I’m Impacting The World
Selected independent strategy projects include:
- full brand positioning for a cyber-security platform focused on human interaction.
- research, learnings, and insights for implementing a digital innovation process in an enterprise (Fortune 500) company. (co-published article about gating the innovation process for scaled organizations)
- product, brand and community strategy for social media agency expanding offerings with new homegrown influencer marketing product.
- content, community, and digital strategy for an international creative nonprofit.
Led product strategy and development at civic tech organization.
Impact: Launched an MVP microsite from concept to launch within 2 weeks, for a new campaign #FillTheRoom, asking people to nominate remarkable women to level-up with their leadership in their communities (presentation of Invitation Nation at Personal Democracy Forum 2016). Stabilized at risk site and data for organization, and built foundational infrastructure, security, and baseline standards. Created and maintained product roadmap, based upon customer feedback, leadership team stakeholders, and mission & vision, and values. In 2016, accepted as 1 of 4 companies to the Beespace Incubator (NYC 2016-2018), and launched an ambitious Dare To Lead: 7 city + online simultaneous conference (2016).
Chief Product Officer, VoteRunLead, NYC, 2015-2016
Developed a campaign about hiring women in leadership roles in tech.
Impact: 36,000+ views (and thousands of organic social shares with zero ad spend) since July launch, with commitments from multiple hiring managers, CEOs, and founders to incorporate inclusive hiring practices.
Published hiremorewomenintech.com, NYC, 2014
Leadership for HR tech company’s community, product, & content strategies.
Impact: Gathered, defined, and clarified community insights, with results ranging from strategy for content, product development, and greater customer retention. Improved lead generation & Search Engine Optimization opportunities, identified & forged partnerships, collaborated with internal and external teams, oversaw community team.
Head of Community, Justworks, NYC, 2013-2014
Concepted agile strategy and response for a brand’s viral video explosion.
Impact: Worked quickly to get social handles responding when Hello Flo’s Camp Gyno video went viral July 2013 (1 million views 1st day, over 4 million views 1st week). Capitalized on viral success to iterate quickly on social strategies and tactics. Continued help on community strategy and community building. [FastCompany Article re: HelloFlo viral success]
Consultant, HelloFlo, NYC, 2013 - ongoing
Strategized and grew WalkaboutNYC: 4 years of citywide creative industry events with global reach.
Impact: Grew independent creative industry event series from a seed of an idea to a biannual RSVP event with hundreds of companies, thousands of participants, sponsors, and global event and digital offshoots. Created lasting partnerships, and balanced internal and external stakeholder expectations.
Lead, WalkaboutNYC / Harvest, NYC, 2009-2013
Defined community, sponsorship, and content strategies in B2B tech.
Impact: Owned sponsorship strategy, execution budget, ambassador program, case studies, multiple blogs, and marketing initiatives.
Community Manager, Harvest, NYC, 2009-2013
Produced artworks, installations, and exhibitions for world-renowned artists.
Impact: Produced art pieces, installations, and exhibitions around the globe.
Artists: Kimsooja, Dennis Oppenheim, Tom Otterness, Janet Echelman, NYC, 2004-2009
Research and insights to locate missing gallery artworks in the U.S., U.K, and Europe.
Impact: Became the gallery’s first (and only) internal private investigator, tracking down artworks that were missing over the art dealer’s 35 year, multi-city history.
Assistant Registrar, Richard L. Feigen & Company (Gallery), NYC, 1999-2004
Where I Shaped My Point of View
- MFA, Photography & Related Media, The School of Visual Arts, NY, graduated May 2003
- BA, English & Creative Writing, Binghamton University, NY, graduated May 1999
- Front End Web Development - Google Challenge Scholarship [In Progress - January 2018]
- HTML & CSS: Part I (longform course), Git, SQL, Command Line - codecademy
- Design Thinking Bootcamp, Design Gym
- Learn HTML, CSS, and Bootstrap (workshop) - General Assembly
- Theory Of Change Bootcamp, Beespace Incubator
Languages: Design Thinking, Agile & Lean Methodologies, HTML / CSS / Bootstrap, Git, Command Line, SQL
- Erasmus+ / GEPLE Project: Arts, B2B Tech, and Values Presentation / Lecture (2016)
- RISE conference: Future of Civic Engagement Panelist / Lecture (2015)
- RISE conference: Civic and Public Art Engagement Presentation / Lecture (2014)
Community: Women In Product, EDGI (Environmental Data & Governance Initiative), Dreamers // Doers, Technical.ly, Tech Lady Mafia